Report Animal Cruelty
How to Report an incidence of Animal Cruelty
The power of enforcement of animal cruelty laws and
ordinances lies with Missoula Animal Control. If you
need to lodge a complaint, please call 406-541-7387.
They can respond to complaints within the city or county.
If you are a witness to animal cruelty, here are some
- DO NOT WAIT to act if you are a witness to cruelty.
Never assume someone else, will take care
of the problem. Call Animal Control or the Sheriff
immediately. A matter of a day can be the difference
between life and death for an animal.
- Documenting what you see is critical. Take photos
if possible and keep a log of exactly what you see
(with descriptions and dates). This information is
crucial in a legal case against the abuser and can
mean a better chance at convicting the perpetrator.
- Neglect is abuse. Lack of veterinary care, shelter,
food, water, and protection from the elements is abuse
and is illegal.
- After reporting the cruelty, always follow-up with
a phone call to Animal Control. Find out what the
- If you live outside of Missoula or Missoula County
contact your local Animal Control, Sheriff, or Humane
- People that abuse animals rarely stop there. Most
also abuse the humans in their lives. Children that
are caught abusing animals are most likely themselves
being abused and will likely become violent adults.
Children who abuse animals should receive counseling.
For more information about the link between human
and animal abuse click HERE.
To view the cruelty statues for the state of Montana
These same statues apply to Missoula County. Cruelty
statues within the city are also the same with the addition
1. It is unlawful to expose any poison for the purpose
of killing, sickening, or crippling any dog, cat, domestic
pet or livestock, or aiding and abetting any person
2. It is unlawful to sponsor, conduct, or participate
in an animal race of more than two miles, except a sanctioned
3. It is unlawful to expose any animal to let hold
traps or snares.
For a full copy of all Animal Control ordinances within
the city or county, please contact Missoula Animal Control
at 541-7387. There you will find licensing requirements,
dog bite information, nuisance and vicious dog ordinances,
leash law information, etc